Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ian Snell has come unhinged

Ian Snell is a very intense guy, which is why he's one of my favorite Pirates. Still, there are limits to how far a player should go when talking about teammates in the press. I'm pretty sure Snell crossed that line after last night's loss to the Mets. He was clearly upset about the double that fell between Bay and Nady that should've been caught and the ground ball that treated Kata like a croquet wicket but wasn't ruled an error, but man, he gave up a home run to John Maine. Here are some of his words:

"I'm starting to break. I'm getting stressed out. I don't know about these other guys, but I just want to win. I don't want to be called a loser. Man, even my family calls our team losers, and I don't want anyone to say that about our team."

[...]

"All I know is that I'm going to take the blame," Snell said. "Everything's my fault. I don't want to put any pressure on the team. Nothing."

He paused again, then made a 180-degree turn.

"There were some balls I thought we could have caught. We could have given up only three runs. I could have stayed in the game. I threw 50 pitches, and I'm out of the game. But they didn't give those guys errors, either, so ... it didn't work out in my favor."

Either he's trying harder and harder to piss the front office off and get moved out of this mess or he's just a giant dick. Except that he's kind of short. But seriously, he gave up a home run to a pitcher.