Saturday, July 07, 2007

Get ready to dissect this statement for months

From the PG today:

"The one thing I do want to stress is that I really am supportive of and committed to the direction the team is headed," Nutting said. "I believe that the plan we have in place is a good one. And the last thing Dave or Jim Tracy or this team needs is speculation about what's going to happen. What they need is to be able to stay focused and turn in a great second half of baseball."
Does he mean a.) I'm really happy with the things that have happened since I've taken over as owner, such as visiting the Dominican Republic, Kevin McClatchy being shown the door, and the like, or does he mean b.) I really think Dave and Jim have this team moving in the right direction and Dave has a lot of vision as to how this team is going to get to the next level and I am excited about that.

I hope it's A, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and while we're at it, Zach Duke won't be going under the knife this year, which is surprising and good to hear. Hopefully, he'll rehab his arm and we'll find out some of his struggles this year were due to the irritation more than anything.