Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Game 93: Rockies 6 Pirates 2

What can I say about this team? They're playing bland, uninspired, poor baseball right now. Josh Fogg shut us down tonight save Nate McLouth's homer (which was honestly one of the hardest hit balls I've seen in person). In fact, McLouth's monster homer was one of two impressive things that I saw tonight. The other was a Masumi Kuwata 86 mph fastball. I didn't think the dude had it in him.

Josh Fogg had nothing on the ball tonight. For the first couple innings every out, every hit, and every foul ball was hit hard. See Fogg's thing is that he throws strikes. That should be great for a team like us that swings at everything. The guy has nothing on the ball and throws strikes. Time for a hitting bonanza, right? Wrong. Jason Bay reminds me of when I used to umpire for 9 and 10 year olds (worst job I ever had, by the way). Every team had a kid or two (or seven) that would bat in the back of the lineup and go up to the plate without a clue, praying to walk. That's what Bay looks like to me right now. He's got no idea what pitch is coming next ever.

The ninth inning tonight was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen at the ballpark in my life. Manny Corpas was on the mound for the Rockies tonight. He's been pretty decent this year, but he's definitely no JJ Putz. Except against the disinterested, mentally already at home Pittsburgh Pirates. Corpas threw twelve pitches tonight. All twelve were strikes. And he struck out the side. With Nady, Doumit, and Bay at the plate. Ugh.