Saturday, June 16, 2007

I just hope his arms stay attached

Posting the gamethread early because I'm heading down from home to catch John Van Benschoten's re-debut against the White Sox this afternoon. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see JVB throw at all in his brief 2004 stint with the Buccos (I know I saw Burnett, though). One thing is for sure, with him in the lineup tonight we'll probably have a better hitter in the nine slot than the eight slot. Mark Buehrle goes for the White Sox and he's pitched well this year but is only 3-3 because of the well documented awful White Sox offense. And that's why it's at least a good move to make this Van Benschoten's first start. I'm not sure what kind of leash he's on, but this is definitely better than calling him up to face the Yankees. I don't have high hopes for him today or this year, but it is impressive that he's made it this far back. I didn't think he'd make it this far. Maybe he'll keep surprising me.