Monday, March 12, 2007

Should we be worried about Gorzelanny?

I think it's a fair question after yesterday's outing. Both he and the team have said his elbow is not an issue (remember he went on the DL with some stiffness or something at the end of the year last year, then the team strangely brought him back for a start or two in September) this year, but Jim Sullivan is hearing whispers that say otherwise in Bradenton. I haven't heard anything from either of the papers or the Pirates yet, but my ears are open.

Combine those whispers with his performance so far this spring and yeah, I'm a little nervous about Gorzo in 2007. He got rocked in the first inning yesterday, though he did throw much better in his second two innings. There's no report on his velocity in the PG, but needless to say I'm just a little on edge about Gorzelanny at the moment, especially with the quiet and slow way that Paul Maholm is being brought along this spring.