Friday, March 30, 2007

The roster is almost set

Quick roster update at the PG today. I'm incredibly rushed for time right now, but the bullpen is set with Jonah Bayliss, John Wasdin, and Juan Perez joining Torres, Capps, Marte, and Chacon.

Meanwhile on the actual roster side of things, Jose K(!) and and Luis Matos were sent packing leaving McLouth, Cota, Kelly, Eldred, Doumit, and Castillo to fight over the five spots on the bench. Then I read something that made me choke:

The only certainty of the group was that Kelly, a Mt. Lebanon and Point Park College, will make the team.
Assuming Cota makes the team (and I think he will), Don Kelly will be taking a roster spot from Nate McLouth, Brad Eldred, Ryan Doumit, or Jose Castillo. Kill me.

Seriously, if there's anyone out there that believes the Pirates can compete this year, how can you honestly think a roster that opens the year up with John Wasdin and Don Kelly on it will manage to not lose 90 games?