Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Maholm explanation offered, I remain dubious

Buried under a fluffy story about Daisuke Matsuzaka pitching at McKechnie in Paul Meyer's notebook today is this:

Paul Maholm, who was to start the game at McKechnie Field, instead pitched in a minor-league game at the Pirates' minor-league complex. Sean Burnett started against the Tigers, primarily because the coaching staff wanted to evaluate him more closely.
I dunno if I'm buying that. As azibuck notes in the comments below, Maholm has only pitched 7 and 2/3 innings this spring and that's worrisome. Also worrisome is this note, also in the bottom of the notebook:
Freddy Sanchez, continuing his rehab from a sprained right knee, took at-bats in a minor-league game for the first time. "I'm hoping to get as many at-bats as I can," he said before leaving for the minor-league complex. "I need these." Sanchez still hasn't been cleared to run or play in the field.
Sanchez's "minor" knee injury was 16 days ago.