Monday, February 19, 2007

So let's get this straight

I think it's probably fair to say that I've defended old BP Chacon as much as anyone this off-season. I didn't really fly off the handle when we signed him to the almost $4 million contract and I didn't even immediately christen Tony Armas Jr. the fifth starter. It's not that I want him in the rotation before any of the first four starters or that I think he's a fair return for Craig Wilson in a straight up trade; it's just that I was trying to be fair. Of course the one assertion from everyone this winter was that Chacon would pitch better in 2007 because he had a balky knee in 2006. Except that he's got arthritis in his knee and somehow the team didn't bother to figure this out until now, after they signed him to previously mentioned contract. I really think I might hate the Pirates.