Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Let's have some fun

OK- the deal is that I'm rather busy right now with a bunch of things. I'm working on those season preview posts, but I don't have time to write about much else because those take a lot of time. This is a rather slow news time for baseball as most off-season moves are done but spring training hasn't started yet. I could do a bunch of link posts, but I don't really like that because let's face it, you guys are every bit as smart as I am and can find most of this stuff on your own (not that I'm going to stop with link posts, I'd just rather not be all links all the time). So in the absence of anything else to write about, I've been thinking back to what has sparked the best discussions in the past. One of the first things that immediately came to mind was the "Player Theme Songs" post I did last summer. So I'm going to do a bit of a variation on that now. Instead of me assigning specific songs to specific players, I'm going to write out a particular sequence of Pirates, say, their projected starting lineup, go into my iTunes, hit "shuffle" and see what comes out. You'll have to trust me that I'm not doctoring the results at all. From there on, it's left to the comments to discuss the appropriateness of each song. I'm not going to pretend like there's some deep meaning to this, it's mostly just a time killer that I think could be fun for both myself and you readers. Today we'll go with what I think Jim Tracy's opening day line-up will be.

  1. Chris Duffy: "I Need to Know"- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  2. Jack Wilson: "I Ain't Got No Heart"- Frank Zappa and the Mothers
  3. Freddy Sanchez: "Yoshimi Battle the Pink Robots Pt. 2"- The Flaming Lips
  4. Adam LaRoche: "Come Together"- The Beatles
  5. Jason Bay: "Rich Girl"- Hall and Oates (this could potentially be an embarrassing exercise for me)
  6. Xavier Nady: "Wanted Dead or Alive"- Bon Jovi (ditto)
  7. Ronny Paulino: "Supernova Goes Pop"- Powerman 5000 (I have not thought about Powerman 5000 since 8th grade)
  8. Jose Castillo: "Getting Better"- The Beatles
Have at it. If this goes well, I may do some more.