Monday, February 05, 2007

Fire up the interwebs

Get ready for some intense Googling from the Pirate faithful in the next few days as the Bucs have signed another Cuban defector today, this time inking Serguey Linares to a minor league contract (hat tip to Gavin for the heads up in the comments). The most I can find about him is what I think is the same Baseball America article that got linked over and over again when we signed Hererra. Long story short, Linares is a (purportedly) 23 year old hard throwing righty that according to the BA article was actually attracting more interest than Hererra as of last August, though it may be because he was already cleared to defect whereas Hererra had some visa issues to clear up. His results in Cuba's top league are pretty poor, but he's pretty young and he throws hard. According to Dejan's quick PG summary he didn't pitch at all last year and he's got some control problems. Actually he sounds kind of similar to Romulo! if you ask me. I'd guess that depending on his spring he'll start the year at Indy or Altoona, but I'm mostly guessing at that because of age. I'll post more when I find it.