Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Division Series predictions

Padres and Cardinals- The playoffs are all about who's playing well right now. The Cardinals are not, the Padres are, I think this one is that simple. San Diego has a lights out pitching staff and a fairly pronounced home field edge (they're about the same home and away this year, but the Cards were 34-47 on the road). St. Louis is lucky to even be here with the way they finished the season and I don't think they'll stick around for long. Padres in four.

Mets and Dodgers- The Mets haven't played a meaningful baseball game in about three months, they're down an ace, and they're clueless against left-handed pitching. Lucky for them, the Dodgers only have one lefty starter (Hendrickson, who I doubt will be in the playoff rotation). Still, the Mets rotation is scary... for Mets fans. Glavine is old, Trachsel is mediocre, Maine is unproven, and El Duque doesn't get to pitch against the Pirates. Their next option is Ollie (if he's even on the playoff roster, which I'm not sure that he is). I'm feeling upset city here. Dodgers in five.

Twins and A's-
Maybe my favorite first round matchup. This A's team is incredibly un-Beanelike, but they won the AL West fairly handily. The Twins have been the best team in baseball since June. Johan Sanatana is involved. Jason Kendall finally gets to the playoffs. There's some sentiment out there that the A's will finally break through in this series since no one expects them to. There's one problem with that, Santana pitches twice, and probably twice at home (depending on how the games happen). That means the A's will have to win every other game this series. Not gonna happen, this is the most balanced team the Twins have sent to the playoffs since 1991 (that means they can score runs, unlike their '02-'04 playoff teams). Twins in five.

Tigers and Yankees-
I want the Tigers to win. My dad was born in Detroit. Andy Van Slyke is involved. I bear no hard feelings towards Leyland, McClendon, or Lamont. When I was 8 years old, I caught for my machine-pitch team and the coaches called me "Sluggo," which was Don Slaught's nickname. Anytime Rafael Belliard is around, hilarity has the potential to ensue. Doesn't matter. The Tigers have been fading fast for a while now and the Yankees are probably the best team in baseball. Yankees in three.