Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pirates 7 Cubs 6

The Chicago Cubs are diametrically opposed to winning baseball games. I mean I think they seriously might have tried to throw tonight's game in order to get a better draft pick or something because I've never seen anything like tonight's game. If you missed it, the Cubs muffed two shots at inning ending double plays tonight in regulation innings, then did it again in the 11th inning with a 6-5 lead. After that there was only one thing for the Cubs to do, walk Jose Bautista with the bases loaded for a walk off walk. There were other things that happened, like the Pirates sort of fighting back from a 4-0 deficit (I say sort of because the Cubs helped out so much) with Carlos Zambrano pitching a no-no through five innings, but just about everything is eclipsed by the Cubs
incredible suck-i-tude. Zambrano himself screwed up double plays in both the fourth and fifth innings, which was just bizarre to see. I dunno, I'm still kind of speechless. I've never ever seen a team give away a game like the Cubs did tonight. I don't think I can emphasize that enough. I mean I doubt they actually threw the game, but jebus, it certainly looked like it.