Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pirates 10 Cubs 9

First off, let me apologize for forgetting the gamethread today. As usual, my brain failed to process the afternoon game and I didn't have time to get the thing posted once classes started. Without seeing any or hearing much at all of today's game, it would seem that it had a lot in common with yesterday's game. Both teams tried as hard as possible to lose, and the Cubs turned out to be better at that than we were. Each team racked up 20 hits today, and leads were blown left and right. The Cubs blew an early three run lead, we blew a four run lead, then the Cubs blew a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 11th. If I didn't know better I'd guess that neither team wanted to win this one. Still, someone had to as per the rules of baseball and Freddy Sanchez finally stepped up and ended the ugly fest with his third and fourth RBIs on the day to bring the Pirates within 28 games of .500. I suppose we can consider our sweep in this series our karmic payback from what took place in Kansas City in June.