Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Trade Deadline Blues

I'm not much of a country music fan, but I recently watched the Johnny Cash movie and have been unable to get certain songs out of my head. Then I realized why, because there were certain parallels that struck me. Sung to Folsom Prison Blues, of course.

I see the deadline comin'
Right after the weekend
And I ain't seen a good trade
Since I don't know when
I'm stuck watchin' Dave L-field
And time keeps draggin' on
He traded our third-baseman
On down to Chi-ca-go

When I was just a baby
My daddy told me "Son,
Just watch that man Van Slyke
And never play with guns."
But Dave traded Schmidt to San Fran
And he got White Flag
When I see the deadline comin'
My spirit starts to lag

There's other teams a-dealin'
And making themselves good
They're prob'ly tradin prospects
Or a has-been-never-was
But I know I had it comin'
I know I can't be free
But Dave just can't get fired
And that's what tortures me.

Well if they freed me from this prison
If that baseball team was mine
I bet I'd trade a little
And build for down the line
Far from Mr. L-field
That's where I want to stay
And I'd let that lonesome deadline
Blow my blues away