Tuesday, June 27, 2006

More links

I meant to post this in the linkdump I did earlier, but here's John Sickels' midseason review of our preseason top 20 prospects (thanks to Robinson Checo for the heads up in the comments).

And I mentioned this in the post below, but White Flag is officially gone, replaced by Jonah Bayliss for now. Oliver Perez is moved to the pen presumably to replace White Flag in the "can't get anyone out" department, and Gorzellany will likely be called up for someone on Saturday to make a start as Victor Santos' hangnail/shoulder problem/fictional injury isn't healed yet. I would presume that some kind of trade or other roster is coming before then as we currently have four lefties in our pen and none of them are very good (well, Gonzalez might be very good, but his WHIP this year is around 1.60, so really he hasn't been much more than lucky this year). I've always been one of Vogelsong's biggest supporters and I'm kind of sad he could never get things together here, but as you could probably tell from my nicknaming him "the White Flag," even I've run out of patience with him. I wish him the best elsewhere and hopes he succeeds, but it really doesn't seem likely at this point.

And finally, thoughts and prayers go out to Peter Gammons. He's recently become a poor caricature of himself, but I think that's mostly ESPN's fault rather than his own. The Sports Guy always credits his move to an online only column at ESPN (from the Boston Globe) as the thing that inspired him to do his first internet column, and without guys like the Sports Guy I don't know if there would be blogs like this around. And of course, without him Baseball Tonight would consist of Kruk, Reynolds, Phillips, that Hispanic guy, and Kurkijan, which would render it completely useless to everyone, so it's best for all involved that he comes out of this OK.