Monday, June 05, 2006

Draft stuff galore

For anyone that's looking, here's a couple mock drafts and who've they've got us taking in the first round:

Interestingly, at John Sickle's site (Minor League Ball), they've got us taking Reynolds over Longoria, while Brian Smith at SI.com has Reynolds dropping all the way to 14. This mostly says that no one has any idea what's going on. I'm not seeing Morrow's name as much as I was before and there's no one left that thinks we're going to take Drabek. From what I understand, Drabek's "problems" consist mostly of one car wreck and being publicly intoxicated, which is illegal for high schoolers. The thing is, it's not all that unusual for high schoolers, either. I think people are extremely wary of these "character issues" mostly because of Josh Hamilton (drug problem... rumored to be coke I believe) and Jeff Allison (OD'd on OxyContin). I don't see that in the stuff I read about Drabek, Doug is clearly a laid back dad who isn't pushing his son to follow in his footsteps, which is very important. I would be wary about a high school pitcher, but this article at Baseball Prospectus seems to indicate that there's really no evidence to support that (rule #8).

All I'm saying is this, if Longoria's on the board go for it, he's probably the best available position player and god knows we need all the help we can get at every position in the minors. But if we're going for pitching, I'd rather take my chances with an incredible talent like Drabek than another "safe" Bryan Bullington pick. We can all see how Bullington panned out. Good organizations learn from their mistakes.