Friday, May 26, 2006

Van Benschoten

John Van Benschoten (remember him?) has been asked by famous arm orthopedist Dr. James "Seriously, why don't the Pirates just put me on the payroll?" Andrews to stop throwing for a couple weeks. So, who didn't see this one coming? Of all of the draft mistakes Littlefield has made, I think this one might be the worst. I mean, they took one of the top NCAA hitters and made him a pitcher for no particular reason. Did they think he wouldn't hit because he was from the MAC? Nolan Reimold, MAC player of the year last year (and former high school teammate of mine, which is the only reason I'm familiar with the situation) was drafted by the Orioles in the 2nd round last year (two picks after we took Brad Corely) and is tearing up the Carolina League this year. He's from the MAC and he can hit (OK, I'll be honest, that exercise was mostly for anyone from back home that was wondering how Nolan was doing this year, but it does prove a point about DL as well). Anyways, back to the subject at hand, I'll be surprised if Van Benschoten ever pitches in the majors again.