Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mets 4 Pirates 3

Unfortunately, I had to miss all of the pitching matchup that I was looking forward to more than any pitching matchup all year as last night was the only night we could take some graduating friends out to eat (good luck Bess, Justine, Nick, and Kim). Dinner took longer than we expected it to, and by the time we got back it was time for part 2 of this week's House and Snell was getting pulled anyways. After that, I had planned on coming back home for a couple days (school's done), but realized it was the top of the 9th and the Bucs were only down 2 against Wagner, who's been struggling. It was an impressive rally with the only disappointment being that Thor didn't bash a go ahead homer, then break his bat over his leg and stare a Jim Tracy with a crazy look in his eye while screaming "JOSE F------ HERNANDEZ? DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" Still, Hernandez is continuing his impression of Cota from last year (not getting any hits except in key situations and thus will continue to find himself in those situations, only to cost us a ton of games) and I've gotta say, Paulino impressed me. I mean, Billy Wagner on the mound, two strike count, everyone in the world thinking slider, and Paulino sits fastball and laces it through the infield. Impressive. Anyways, I got in the car and put the game on the radio and it stretched on I thought to myself "the longer this thing goes, the worse its going to be for us." That culminated it me coming out of a toll booth on 60, hearing the words "Delgado's at the plate to face Mike Gonzalez" and thinking "That's not good." It wasn't.

Some quick other thoughts from the game, it's hard to believe Freddy Sanchez won't be in the lineup on a pretty much daily basis from this point on. I mean, come on, you'd have to be blind and crazy to keep him out of the lineup at this point. As for Snell, he walked a lot of people and had a pretty short outing, but considering he was up against one of his favorite pitchers from his childhood, I think he did pretty well. Nine K's in 5 and 2/3s is nothing to sneeze at, even with four walks. I think we're finally seeing the Ian Snell the fans and Indy and Altoona got to see the last couple years.