Friday, April 07, 2006

More on last night's game

I meant to say this in my recap from last night, but one of the most disappointing things to see in that game were Jack Wilson and Chris Duffy both flailing at pitches way out of the strike zone to open up the ninth with back to back Ks. This is all stuff that we kept hearing would be fixed this year and despite the fact that it's early, I don't see much progress. Anyways, after everything I've seen through four games, if I were managing this team I think my lineup would look something like this:

  1. McLouth, CF
  2. Castillo, 2B
  3. Bay, LF
  4. CWilson, RF
  5. Casey, 1B
  6. Doumit, C
  7. Randa, 3B
  8. JWilson, SS
Castillo has been killing the ball and needs to move up in the lineup, while Jack is a much better bottom of the order hitter. I think if Doumit sees some regular playing time, we're going to see some power from him, thus the move up. Bay goes third, because that's where your best hitter goes. Also, if he's third it's unlikely that Sean Casey is in front of him to hit into DPs. Castillo and CWills over him a little more protection on either side, though batting Casey second and sliding maybe Doumit to five and Castillo to six isn't an awful idea either. Best case scenario probably sees Freddy Sanchez batting second and playing third, but if I'm hoping for Burnitz to get benched it's probably too much to ask for Randa to hit the bench too, so I'll start with hoping for small victories.