Friday, March 03, 2006

The WBC is here

Last night kicked off the first (and probably only) World Baseball Classic. I haven't exactly been holding my breath for this thing, but I won't lie, I want to see Ollie and Jay Bay play for their respective countries. The starless US squad doesn't really interest me and at this point, the same goes for the DR. If I had to pick a winner I'd say it will be a country like Venezuela where a win will mean more to them than anywhere else. Then again, everyone is picking them, so I'll say Japan. Minus Matsui and Iguchi, they're more or less playing with an all-star team of players from what is arguably the second best pro league in the world and they probably feel slighted after everyone laughed at Bobby Valentine's offer to have his Chiba Lotte Marines play the White Sox. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think Japan's taking this thing home.