Friday, October 14, 2005

Two games in

Two games into each LCS and I haven't changed my feelings about either one. The White Sox are going to take a ton of momentum into Anaheim after that call and I still feel like they're the better team without Colon pitching for the Angels. As for "the call" all I'm going to say is this, even if there was replay I'm not sure there was indisputable evidence to change that call, it was way too tough to tell. By football's standard, the call on the field would stand. As for the whole hand motion thingy, Josh Paul had flipped the ball back to the pitcher before any of it went on behind him (which he couldn't have seen anyways). Did the whole thing look funny? Yes. Should the Angels have known better anyways? Yes. Did Pierzynski do a great job selling it? Sure he did. Do I think there's some vast conspiracy to screw the Angels or that this play proves that baseball's system is seriously screwed up? No. Paul screwed up as bad as Eddings did, that's all there is to it.

As for the NLCS, it's just about how I hoped and thought it would be, dead even. So far the Cards have done what they need to do, take half the games from "the aces" and beat Backe in Game 4. I don't know how much time Reggie's gonna miss, but they're going to miss his bat A LOT if it's significant. And I still can't look past the fact that Clemens, Pettite, and Oswalt will make 4 more starts if the series goes 5 more games.

And I can't stress enough how much I like watching the ALCS without the Yankees or the Red Sox in it. I hope the other AL teams are taking notes, maybe we can make this an annual occaision again. And it's always fun to watch two teams that you're (very) familiar with in the NLCS. It makes things seem a little less futile for the sixth place team in that division.