Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Did that just happen?

Wow. I still can't describe last nights Cards/Astros Game 5. Being not a huge LaRussa or Cardinals fan and someone that's always begrudgingly admired Biggio and Bagwell, I've been cheering for the Astros this post-season, and especially this series. I like Phil Garner, how can any Pirate fan not? So, I was on the edge of my seat in the 9th inning last night. I seriously think the crowd at Minute Maid was the most excited I've ever seen a group of baseball fans get, at least recently (I remember seeing Joe Carter's homer, but not the fan reaction). When Eckstein punched that single through the infield and took second on catcher's indifference, I started to worry a little bit. Why? Because I was afraid they'd pitch around Edmonds to get to Pujols. Which was just what they did. When Pujols did what he did, it was about as unsurprising as Tommy Maddox doing what he did on Sunday, there was just no avoiding it.

So now the question comes, does momentum exist? I don't see how it can't in this situation. If you're only as good as your next starter, this series is over. Mulder isn't the Mulder of Oakland days and Matt Morris isn't the Matt Morris of a couple years ago. Oswalt and Clemens are both far superior pitchers. But look at some fan reaction. Cards fans here, Astros fans here. Cards fans KNOW their team is winning this series, Astros fans are wondering if Phil Garner should have pinch hit for Pettite in the FOURTH, left Wheeler on the mound instead of bringing Lidge out, and walk Pujols to face to scorching hot Reggie Sanders. Garner's done some stupid things, but those are none of them. This Astros team was built for the playoffs because the simple fact about them was that any of big four could shut you down for 7 innings, and then Lidge would slam the door on the next two if he had too. That's no longer an option. The one thing the Astros knew they could count on, Lidge shutting down anyone in the Cardinals lineup, isn't there. And it's not like he threw a pitch only Pujols could go yard on. That was a fat slider, a pitch anyone hits out of that park.The foundation of this Astros team has been shattered, I'm not sure they can bounce back from that.

The Sports Guy has a great article on the "Stomach Punch Game" here, which is absolutely must read if you have time and can get past all the Boston references. And just remember, the Cubs brought out Kerry Wood after the Bartman game. Did anyone doubt the outcome of that one from the start? No. Eric Neel puts it best in today's installation of Page 2 Second Guessing.

And now they go back to Busch, where the crowd will be out of its head ... and you hate to trot out cliches like "momentum" and such, but there is a psychic toll that comes with a game like this. The Astros players will say they don't feel it, that they will turn the page, and I believe they will, but man, this is the moment in this series when the Astros' history comes into play, when it starts to feel like the club is battling not only the Cardinals but also the franchise's demons. I know that's silly. I know there's nothing to it. I also know the Angels in '86 went to Boston and gacked up their tickets to the Series.
Basically put, no matter how hard they try to turn the page, as soon as things start going right for the Cardinals the thought becomes "Here we go again..." And I promse, things will go right for the Cardinals in the last two games at Busch Stadium. I picked the Astros, but it's a loooong road back from where they put themselves last night.