Friday, September 30, 2005

There's lefties everywhere

Ever see a rotation with all lefties? This would seem to be a distinct possibility for our Buccos next year given Duke, Maholm, Perez, and probably Dave Williams are locks for next year's rotation with Mark Redman likely to pick up his option, Burnett being healthy, and Gorzelanny knocking on the door. I don't like this, but not for the reasons most people don't like it. If your five best pitchers happen to be left-handed than that's your rotation. Screw conventional wisdom, that's failed us for 13 years running. I agree with Duke's reasoning in the article, going from a guy like him to a guy like (healthy) Perez is just as drastic as a righty to a lefty. And I'm done defending Kip Wells. If we wanna non-tender him or trade him, so be it. I've had enough of his shit and I don't know if anyone can fix him unless maybe Leo Mazzone is interested in being our pitching coach next year. The problem is twofold, first, there's no place for Ian Snell and second, to kick off next year with all lefties almost certainly means a spot for Mark Redman in the rotation. I know DL will keep Redman around hoping he can recreate last April and May to ship him off but I'll argue until the end that we're better served to eat that contract then to ever let him pitch for us again. If we kick off next year's movement towards the future with Ian Snell in AAA and Mark Redman on the mound I'll be seriously pissed, that's all there is to it.