Monday, September 19, 2005

Roundup time

The Pirates Notebook in the PG today has more on the enigma that is Matt Capps. The reason I've probably never heard of him before his call-up is because he was in the Sally League until August 1st. That's quite a meteoric rise, from low-level A ball to the majors in about six weeks. Anyways, I'd say keep an eye on Capps to fill the closers role, maybe not to start next year off but definitely by 2007 or even late 2006. The organization seems to be hesistant to put Gonzalez in that role, probably because he's a lefty and you just don't see that many left handed closers. Just a hunch (one that I had after watching him pitch Friday, before the article brought up that possibility).

Also in the PG today is another article full of great Pete Mackanin quotes.

"I'd like to see him get it straightened out," Mackanin said. "For me, he's got too much flair instead of the consistent arm release point and arm slot. He's got to get back to basics. Spin corrected that problem last year, and I think that was the key to his success.

"Then he kind of got away from that because he had that success. I think he started to get a little more flamboyant and that got him out of what brought him success.

"[Perez] started dipsy-doodling the ball instead of just doing what's boring -- making good pitches."

Wow. All I'm gonna say is that I really hope Mackanin doesn't see him straightened out because that's gonna mean that he's here longer than the next two weeks. My favorite part of the article was this quote here:

"When we scored that six-spot, knowing that Ollie didn't look real sharp, I looked at Spin and said, 'It looks like it's going to be one of those games,' " Mackanin said. "Spin thought it would be, 11-8. It was a little different, but it was one of those games."
Now THERE's a confidence builder. Yep, you hit a 2-run single to key a six run first inning only to come back to the dugout and hear your manager and pitching coach talking about how they'll probably need 11 runs to win today. If I'm GM those two are both fired on the spot, if not for saying it than for being stupid enough to repeat it to the media, you know, just to make sure Perez heard it. Sheesh