Friday, September 09, 2005

The return of Ollie

Mr. Perez makes his return to the Pirates tonight, facing off against Luke Hudson and Cincy. This is a scary night for us. Perez lost the sliver of control he seemed to have before he went on the DL in his rehab starts. The bullpen has worked a lot of innings the last two days. Reportedly Ollie is taking Duke's start tonight as Duke has had a minor setback that will move his return back a week. I'm going to be honest, as much as I like the way our pitching for next year looks I'd feel a LOT safer if the Oliver of last year could make a return. This recent rehab stint has been scary. He's been wilder than ever and his velocity is still down (I think I recall reading he topped out at 93, can't find the link though as it was about a week ago). Hold on to your hats tonight, guys. This could be a crazy one, especially in that wind tunnell ballpark with Cincy's lineup (which is still scary, sans Griffey).