Monday, September 19, 2005

An ethical decision

Ironically enough, tonight I had to debate between going to my ethics class and going to see what could be Roger Clemens' only appearence in Pittsburgh in my lifetime. Since the class is 3 hours long and only once a week and no one else wanted to go to a baseball game tonight, I chose class over Clemens. That choice may or may not haunt me for the rest of my life, but I'm thinking the Rocket has at least one more year in him. So much to my surprise I come back from class to see a 2-0 Pirates lead against the Rocket. In fact it's a three-nothing lead (Tike just singled in Freddy).

I was going to write earlier today about how this was possibly (4-0, Jack singles in Tike on his third hit of the night) the most important series we've played since we went in the tank against the Yankees and the Sox (and everyone else for the rest of June). This four game series is the best shot our young team has at playing spoiler. Houston is locked in a tight battle and in these four games we're going to see Clemens, Pettite, and Oswalt. Yeah, we played the Phils and the Mets in August, but August and September are not the same. The Astros probably can't even afford two losses to us at this point in the year in this tight a race (6-0, Mackowiak doubles in Bay and JWilson, Clemens is yanked) and if our 2006 Pirates can deal them 2 losses that's going to say a lot about this team, no matter how small the sample size is. Sure, no one starts out the year wanting to be a spoiler in September, but at this point in the season we're going to learn a lot about these guys if they do.