Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Sell, sell, sell!

Today's Stark Market listed three Bucs out of the ten hottest names on the market, Mesa at #4, Lawton at #5, and Mark Redman at #9. I'm kind of surprised to see Mesa so high, but then again this year has been an awful year for bullpens and people are desperate. I'll be happy with just about anything we get for Mesa. I'll be happy for Lawton's absence when he's gone, and it seems somewhat likely with the Lawton for Larry Bigbie rumors persisting. Bigbie isn't exactly exciting, but then again he's not Matt Lawton either, so that works in his favor. Redman is the only one of the three I think can bring something useful, though the one team I had hoped would panic and give us something we could use (the Yankees) panicked and signed Hideo Nomo today. He's not exactly an answer, but I don't see them giving us either of their decent prospects (Cabrera or Duncan) for Redman now that they have Nomo. Again, however, the fact that we're getting this close to the deadline and haven't done anything worries me. I will be severely disappointed if all three of these guys come back to Pittsburgh with us on Sunday. I don't think even two of the three coming back is acceptable.