Sunday, July 17, 2005

Cubs 8 Pirates 2- What a blah baseball weekend

I think if I knew the second half was going to open up this way, I'd probably have different All-Star break grades for everyone. Besides Duke, I'm not even sure we were playing baseball this weekend. Redman, Fogg, and of course Kip were atrocious. We scored a whopping 7 runs in the four game series (only 5 earned I think). We racked up a whopping 20 hits on the four games. Basically, we failed in every baseball related aspect we could this weekend. I didn't watch a ton because I spent a lot of time watching the British Open and the Tour de France (because we have OLN at home). I have to say, Tiger's run away win and Lance running away in the mountains were both far more interesting than the Pirates being abused by the Cubs this weekend.

There was this article in the Post-Gazette on Saturday that said Mark Cuban would be interested in buying the Pirates if they were in danger of leaving. I don't really like Mark Cuban, but a young rich guy with a ton of money to throw around and could care less about turning a profit would be just what this team needs. Unfortunately McClatchy's statement was only, "This team is in no danger of moving," which can be probably be interpreted as, "Myself and the Nuttings are making a lot of money off this shitty excuse for a baseball team, thank you very much, and we're really not interested in selling at all."

That being said, the Bucs are coming back home this week for the 'Stros and the Rockies (yeah, again, don't get me started on that because I'll get myself started on it later this week). Can you feel the excitement?

UPDATE (12:14 AM): All that negativity and I didn't even MENTION that Craig Wilson broke his hand and will miss more time. He was off to a bad start in his return, but it was only a few games, and we're gonna keep on missing his bat.