Friday, June 17, 2005

Red Sox 6 Pirates 5

Well, that one was pretty tough to watch. Tonight we got hosed by a terrible umpire, CB Bucknor (remember the guy that threw Pujols out for no reason a couple weeks ago? Yep, same guy), on a call at second base that cost us a run. I'm more upset about this one because I don't really feel like there was much else the team could've done tonight to win this game. Oh wait, there is one thing. Matt Lawton has played in the American League for his entire career prior to tonight, yet repeatedly chased balls into the corner that he had no chance on in right field tonight, playing two of them into triples. He also failed to appear on Millar's pop-up in the 9th which harmlessly dropped foul, setting the stage for his double, Varitek's bunt, and the subsequently the end of the game. I also kind of question bringing in Gonzalez to pitch to Damon, after all he has a "dead" arm right now, and I tend to think people with "dead" arms should be on the DL, or at least resting, instead of on the mound in game deciding situations, but that's just me. Fogg gave up some runs tonight, but kept us in the game which is no small feat against the Sox. He came back strong after a weak start, so I don't have any complaints about Fogg. A win would be nice anytime soon. I'm starting to forget what those feel like.