Sunday, June 26, 2005

Cardinals 8 Pirates 0

I flipped the game on, saw it was 5-0, and immediately decided I would rather go see Batman Begins than waste my time with the Pirates last night (Batman Begins was very good by the way, blows the other four out of the water, highly recommended, but this is a sports blog, not a movie blog, so I'll stop there). Looking at the boxscore and such, it was pretty much everything I was afraid it would be. Carpenter dominated, but I'm guessing we had something to do with that. How do you strike out 11, give up 4 hits, and only throw 103 pitches in a complete game (with not one walk)? If the other team is helping you out, that's how. From the K's they showed on SportsCenter last night, we did some fishing and chasing. Looks like all that work Gerald Perry did has been forgotten. And I'm not sure what's happening to Mr. Redman, but his handle on the strike zone is disappearing, and that's what's hurting him (last night only 49 strikes in 88 pitches, that's Ollie like). Today is a big one, Perez vs. Marquis. It's a winnable game if Oliver can keep the ball from leaving the park too much, but seeing as how we've give up three homers to Edmonds, two to Molina, two to TAGUCHI, and one to Pujols in the last two days, I'm thinking keeping the ball in the park will be a HUGE problem for Perez today.