Saturday, April 23, 2005

A new ideal lineup

After seeing the Pirates play for almost three weeks, I have a new ideal lineup that I will only see in my dreams:

1- Lawton, RF... He may be playing like crap in the field, but he's been getting on base and I'd rather have him in the lineup than Daryle Ward

2- Bobby Hill, 3B... Time to drop Jack in the order until he gets healthy (and he's still feeling it from the appendectomy, Boswell thinks we should DL him and let him rehab, I might actually agree). Hill's been tearing the cover off the ball and getting on base. He goes here.

3- Jason Bay, LF... Your best hitter goes third. Bay is our best hitter.

4- Rob Mackowiak, CF... Hustles all the time, tearing the cover off the ball, has a cannon for an arm. If Bay can handle center so can Mack.

5- Craig Wilson, 1B... He drops even further if he can't hit anything other than singles, or maybe (gasp) Daryle Ward goes here.

6- Humberto Cota, C... Showed flashes of being able to hit in the past in short stints as catcher. Let's see what happens when he gets a full time gig.

7- Freddy Sanchez, 2B... Honestly, I think if this guy gets a shot at playing every day he's gonna be good.

8- Jack Wilson, SS... Appendectomies aren't minor surgeries. Jack won't play well untill he gets better. Until then it's either DL or put him 8th because he's been worse than some pitchers at the plate this year.

I know this lineup is way to much to hope for from Lloyd, but I think it puts our best hitters on the field. David Ross simply is not a good hitter. He got lucky early on, but since his 2 homer night light Friday he's 0-for-11. Cota has much more of an upside and a good rapport with the pitching staff (especially Perez). Doesn't leave much for our bench, I know, but it's better to keep people like Hill and Mackowiak playing every day and getting at-bats then seeing them pinch hit once a day. Daryle Ward isn't consistent enough to play every day, and I simply don't like him. Until he proves something to me, I don't feel like he should be in the lineup every day. Not that I have to worry about any of this because even with all these different lineups, this is one I promise you will never see.